Other lists on biblical studies

Mr. Timothy T. Dickens (ttd3@columbia.edu)
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 17:05:52 -0500 (EST)

At 01:06 PM 1/4/97 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 12:47 PM -0600 1/4/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>In Carl's last post, he refers to the Elenchus list. What is this list?
>
>As the narrator in Plato's Symposium says in that opening sentence, "I am
not unrehearsed with regard to your question" (I just answered it in an
offlist exchange). Elenchus is a list devoted to discussion of the early
history of Christianity (as opposed to Ioudaios which generally touches on
anything related to Hellenistic Judaism); it tends to be sort of
free-wheeling and loose and it hasn't been as active in the last year or so
as it once was. I think it was originally established to deal with the early
history of the church, not so much the first-century (but not excluding it)
as the institutional history and patristic stuff.

TTD:While Carl is right about the types of discussion going on in Elenchus,
there is a list specifically devoted to the history of Christianity (Early,
midd, late, and contemporary) called ECCHST-L (ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY LIST).
This list

". . .is a forum for the discussion of the scholarly discipline of the
History of Christianity. It is not a platform for the advancement of
specific doctrinal, dogmatic, or theological positions. Nor is it a venue
for personal testimonials."

saying SUB ECCHST-L Your name

Perhaps, someone should should mention all the discussion groups on the
internet dealing with biblical studies.

Another list is ANE.

"ANE is a mailing list on topics and issues of interest in Ancient Near
Eastern Studies, from the Indus to the Nile, and from the beginnings of
human habitation to the rise of Islam. It is intended to provide a medium for
discussion among scholars and students actively engaged in research and
study of this broad field. Subscription is open and unmoderated. . . ."