Re: EKAQEUDEN: Is Perseus wrong?

Carlton Winbery (winberyc@alex1.linknet.net)
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 15:36:26 +0400

Jonathan wrote;
>At 02:50 PM 1/11/97 -0500, David L. Moore wrote:
>>I think a more likely translation would be "lay down to sleep and
>>began to snore."
>
>The Middle Liddel says hRENKW means:
> [0] to snore, Lat. sterto, Aesch., Ar.; of horses, to snort, Eur.
>
>I can't find this word in BAGD. (Does this mean I really need to buy another
>lexicon to read Septuagint? Or is this the time to consider buying LSJ?) I
>remember Jesus getting upset in John and snorting like a horse, which is why
>I thought he might be, er, *bawling* his eyes out, but lying down and
>snoring also makes sense - quickly grabbing the nearest modern-language
>Bible, I see that he went down and fell asleep in the modern German
>translation of the Hebrew.
>
>>Probably the "nu-movable" refers to the nu at the end of
>>EKAQEUDEN which also may be written EKAQEUDE. I'll leave the matter of the
>>preverb of KAQEUDW to those who have specialized in morphology, although
>>I'll observe that the theta may substitute for the tau in varying
>>pronunciations and spellings of some words.
>>
>> Oh, BTW, you mean "bawled," not "balled," don't you. :-)
>
>I guess my morphology *is* weak. This is a word that lives in my oral
>vocabulary, but I never thought about how to write it. You see, I favor
>usage over etymology, and have read too many polysyllabic Anglo-Saxon texts,
>which has completely destroyed my spelling skills...

There are rules of elision at work here. KATA when followed by a vowel
will loose the final A. If the following word (attached or not) has a
rough brething such as EU[, The T changes to a Q thus KAQEU-. The
imperfect is found with the improper augment EKAQEU- and also with no
augment KAQEUDON. As for the NU, there are a number of verbs like the verb
root DEIK that take NU in the first principal part with either MI verb
endings or W/MAI endings. These verbs can add NNU, NU, or N = I
(consonantal) (see pp. 165-170, Brooks & Winbery, Morphology).

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net