Re: Accusative Absolute

Mon, 20 Jan 1997 12:43:25 -0600

At 7:58 AM -0600 1/20/97, Randy Leedy wrote:
> . . . Carlton's example
>from Acts 26:3 (GNWSTHN ONTA SE), though, sure looks to me like an
>incontrovertible instance. I don't think I've seen Carl's alternative
>explanation of that one yet, and even Carlton stopped short of
>calling it the real McCoy. I apologize if in my haste I'm forgetting
>something that's already appeared on the list, but I'm not yet ready
>to give up the Accusative Absolute as a valid NT category of usage,
>and I won't until I see all the potential examples explained
>otherwise.

Here's the snippet rom my original response to that item in Carlton's reply
on the 1 Peter passage:

Carlton wrote:

>>No, no. Its in apposition to the pronoun hON. The closest thing to an
>>accusative absolute in the NT would be maybe Acts 26:3 GNWSTHN ONTA, "sinc=
>>you are an expert about . . ."

I replied:

>I agree that this is closer and I agree with Carlton about what it must
>mean, but regarding its structural linkage to the rest of the sentence, I
>think I would make it dependent upon hHGHMAI in vs. 2 and parallel to the
>first object of hHGHMAI, EMAUTON MAKARION--"I deem myself fortunate
>..."--and then, "(because I deem) you especially knowledgeable about ... "

And finally:
At 6:54 AM -0600 1/18/97, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>What IS an accusative absolute--at least in origin--is to be found once in
>the NT as 1 Cor 16:6: PROS hUMAS DE TUCON PARAMENW H KAI PARAXEIMASW ...
>"I'll take up residence with you, should the contingency arise, or even
>pass the winter with you..." Here we actually have the neuter accusative
>aorist participle of TUGCANW used impersonally functioning independently of
>these two 1 sg. future tense main verbs; probably, although I don't have an
>LSJ at home with me to be able to tell whether it's so, this TUCON has
>become another adverbial expression meaning "maybe." But it originated as
>an accusative absolute of the sort seen in classical Attic, translatable in
>very crudely literal English as "it chancing."

Apart from this TUCON, which probably ought really to be understood as an
adverb in this instance, I don't see anything in the NT that may
legitimately be called an accusative absolute.

(314) 935-4018