Re: Ephesians 1:6 - EIS EPAINON DOXHS THS XARITOS AUTOU

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 17:43:34 -0500

Randy Leedy wrote:

> In the thread on strings of genitives (e.g. EIS TO EPAINON DOXHS THS
> CARITOS AUTOU) I didn't see any mention of a point that does deserve
> consideration here: the Semitic use of the genitive as a substitute
> for an adjective. In the example cited above, I would tend to take
> DOXHS as adjectival, and construe the second genitive, not with the
> preceding genitive, but with the original pre-genitive. In other
> words, I would take DOXHS as meaning "glorious" (the adjective for
> which it substitutes), and take CARITOS as modifying, not DOXHS, but
> EPAINON. I would translate: "unto the glorious praise of His grace,"
> labeling uses as follows:
>
> DOXHS: genitive of description (or adjectival) with EPAINOS
> CARITOS: objective genitive with EPAINOS
> AUTOU: probably subjective genitive with CARITOS

Since there are so many categories of genitives, and Ephesians 1 has so many
genitives to categorize, I can come up with lots of possibilities, but I
don't know how to rule any of them out. I'm trying to find some guidelines
to help me choose one interpretation over another.

I can see why you say "unto the glorious praise of His grace", but could
this also mean "unto the praise of the glory of His grace"? Why would I
prefer one over the other?

Whichever it means, I'm for it ;->

EIS EPAINON DOXHS THS XARITOS AUTOU,

Jonathan