Re: coding texts

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:26:30 -0500

At 07:59 AM 1/22/97 -0700, Mike Adams wrote:

>> Thanks, Edgar and Ellen, for sharing some of the ways you have marked up
>> texts at various stages of learning Greek. I have colored the verbs using
>> colored pencils and different schemes for tense, voice, and mood. My
>> guess is that lots of people have done this.
>
>What colors? What schemes?
>
>Ellen

It varies from time to time, but I tend to color in the 4 corners of an
imaginary rectangle surrounding the verb. The lower left hand corner I use
for tense, and I choose a different color for each tense. If Present happens
to be red today, I write a key up at the top of the page to remind me of
that fact, then put a little red "L" at the lower left-hand corner of the
word. I tend to use the right-hand side for voice and mood, marking voice
with an upside-down "L" at the upper right-hand corner, and mood with a
backwards "L" at the lower right-hand corner.

How do I do this without running out of colors? I just reuse the colors. The
position tells me if the marking refers to tense, voice, or mood. If I try
to use lots of different colors, I get mixed up.

When I'm working with text in a word processor, though, I find it easier to
insert spaces or dashes to denote the morphology, e.g.:

AG-OUSIN, H-KOU-ON, H-KOU-SA-MEN, PE-PISTEUK-A-SI

Of course, a letter may represent more than one thing - the H in the above
examples is actually E+A. I tend to separate out such a letter, as I did
above, or as in the example below:

E-BLE-Y-AN

I suppose I *could* decompose it like this:

E-BLEP+S-AN, E+A-KOU-SA-MEN

I find this very helpful as a way of practicing my verb morphology, in
addition to helping mark the tense/voice/mood for the verbs in the text.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com