Re: Needed: a new atlas of the ancient world. (off topic)

Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 08:43:44 -0800

Bart Ehrman wrote:

> Jonathan is referring to the ancient atlas project headed by Richard
>Talbert in classics/history at UNC Chapel Hill. It's an immense project,
>3.5 million dollars and 75 eminent international scholars. Actually, it
>may seem "funny" (to quote Jonathan) at first; but the reality is that all
>of the atlases currently available utilize the standard atlas that was
>done some time in the 1870s (forget the precise date) -- obviously long
>before all the major archaeological work that has been so revolutionary in
>some areas. One might ask the question, how *do* I know where such or
>such a place really was? (We generally *think* we know cause we all rely
>on the completely dated information that hasn't been revised for over a
>century!)
>
> I don't think this baby will be out in paperback. But libraries
>everywhere are sure to get it, and future "Bible Atlases" and the like
>will certainly be dependent on it, some of the completely, for many many
>years.

Let me reinforce what Bart has said here with respect to the Maps
circulating with Bible Software programs...

Recently I want to prepare an overhead from one of them (I won't mention
which one, but I checked a couple others and they were the same) and when I
looked at the placement of the Roman provinces, geographic areas, and
cities I thought I must be looking at it sideways or something; virtually
NOTHING was in the correct location. Luckily the program allowed me to move
things around !!

Just a word to the wise (ie., check against several standard up-to-date [as
much as they can be !!] maps)...

XAIREIN...

Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com