Re: genitives

Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 21:04:47 -0800 (PST)

At 9:03 AM -0500 1/22/97, Randy Leedy wrote in response to Lee Martin:

>I would modify your model so it reads like this:
>
> A B C D
>the praise of the glory of the grace of him
>
>B, as I take it, is the abstraction modifying A, so I get "glorious
>praise." "Grace" could, I suppose, be taken as an abstraction, but it
>certainly doesn't modify "praise," and it seems awkward to me to take
>it as modifying "glory." Your "gracious glory" just doesn't cut it
>with me, but I can't quite put my finger on the reason. Rather,
>"grace" seems to me to be best taken as an objective genitive after
>"praise," and "His" as adnominal to "grace." The phrase ends up, in
>my view, as signifying "the glorious praise of His grace."

This proposal looks really interesting to me. I was myself about to point
out that one of the genitives might be taken as an objective genitive when
I read Randy's response. Randy's own proposal raises a question for me,
however. Do we have any clear examples where a genitive must be taken as a
"adjectival" genitive modifying a deverbal noun like EPAINON ("glorious
praise" in Randy's proposal)?

I'm not implying that we don't. I just can't remember them right off hand.

What factors would argue for seeing DOXHS as a modifier of EPAINON rather
than THS CARITOS?

If I'm asking about something which has already been discussed, just refer
me to the archives. I've just started following this thread.

Micheal W. Palmer
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College

mwpalmer@earthlink.net