Re: Ephesians 2:1 - KAI *hUMAS*

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 10:17:04 -0500

At 08:28 AM 1/24/97 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 5:58 AM -0600 1/24/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>OK, I'm moving on to the next chapter! In Ephesians 2:1, hUMAS is accusative:
>>
>>Eph 2:1 (GNT) KAI hUMAS ONTAS NEKROUS TOIS PARAPTWMASIN KAI TAIS hAMARTIAIS
>>hUMWN

>The accusative of respect, at least in traditional grammatical terminology,
>tends to be used of accusatives qualifying adjectives or verbs denoting a
>state to denote a thing in respect to which the verb or adjective is limited
>(Smyth, #1601); Wallace seems to be using the term in an idiosyncratic sense
>including limiting functions of an accusative noun that can't be explained
>otherwise. But Ephesians 2:1 hUMAS ONTAS KTL. is not an accusative of respect.

I may be misunderstanding the accusative of respect. I was thinking that the
accusative of respect might lead to a translation like:

"And as for you, you were dead in your sins and transgressions, following
the age of this world, following the prince of the powers of the air, the
spirit which now works in those who are disobedient."

Is this wildly off the mark?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728