Re: "vexed" in 2 Pet. 2:7

Thomas Biddy (web3943@charweb.org)
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 10:38:23 -0500 (EST)

Dear Carl,

Thank you for your help.

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
> > Book of 2 Peter ( Greek NT - Textus Receptus )
> > 2:7 kai dikaion lwt kataponoumenon upo th" twn aqesmwn en aselgeia
> > anastrofh" errusato
>
> Louw-Nida: KATAPONEOMAI-"be distressed, with the implication of being worn
> out by such an experience."

This helps. I was wondering about a sense of exhaustion.

> PONOS generally means exhausting effort, hard work; however, it is clearly
> used of emotional strain as well and that appears to be the fundamental
> sense here; the KATA element seems to intensify this sense of overwhelming
> emotional strain.
> The way you formulate your question seems to indicate you are trying to
> ascertain his MORAL reaction, and I really don't think there's any
> indication of that in the participle KATAPONOUMENON itself.

I am looking for his ordinary, day to day, status. Are you saying that
the vexed was sporatic responses to particular events rather than an
abiding attitude toward the society that Lot was in?

You are helping me understand this and I appreciate it.

Best
Thomas