Re: Galatians 5:6

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@wcdf.viewlogic.com)
Wed, 29 Jan 97 08:24:51 PST

> From: Eric Weiss <eweiss@gte.net>
>
> I went out on a limb at church this morning when I shared "off the cuff"
> the following interpretation of Galatians 5:6 in light of James 5:16.
> Any comments on whether I went too far?
>
> Galatians 5:6
>
> EN GAR CRISTWi IHSOU OUTE PERITOMH TI ISCUEI OUTE AKROBUSTIA ALLA PISTIS
> DI AGAPHS ENERGOUMENH
>
> "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision (or
> "neither being circumcised nor being uncircumcised" - i.e., operating
> from an "old creation" distinction or in accordance with the methods of
> ones old existence) is able to do anything - but faith, when (or "by")
> operating/being put-into-effect through love, [is able to do things]."
>
> (This, as opposed to the standard translation: "For in Christ Jesus
> neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is (or "means") anything, but
> faith working through love." [I asked (and answered): "faith working
> through love --" what? What follows the participle? Isnt there an
> implied finite verb, i.e.,: "Faith working through love [means, is, or
> does something]"?]
>
> Anyway, I shared that I saw in this a parallel to James 5:16:
>
> POLU ISCUEI DEHSIS DIKAIOU ENERGOUMENH
>
> "The prayer of a righteous man, when (or "by") operating/being
> put-into-effect, is able to do much."
>
> I.e.,:
>
> POLU ISCUEI DEHSIS DIKAIOU ENERGOUMENH
> [TI ISCUEI] PISTIS DI AGAPHS ENERGOUMENH
>
> I suppose the same parallel could be made if TI ISCUEI (Galatians) and
> POLU ISCUEI (James) are translated "has any meaning/value" and "has much
> meaning/value". So I guess my second question would be: is it better to
> translate ISCUEI in these verses as "has meaning/value" or as "is able
> to do" - or are either possible?
> --
Eric,

No, I don't think you went too far at all. It seems to me that
the parallels to Jas. 5.16 are quite striking.

I personally have a different way of translating both verses which
is based on my studies of the usage of the words ISChUW and ENERGEW
throughout the NT. It seems to me that ISChUW goes beyond the
usual "is able to do" or "has the strength" and really has the sense
of "to succeed" (intransitive) or "to succeed in" or "to accomplish"
(transitive). In addition, ENERGEW makes a lot of sense if you
interpret it uniformly as "to work inwardly." Finally, note
that ENERGOUMENH is a present participle, so that it denotes
an ongoing or simultaneous action, rather than completed action.
For this reason, I don't like "being put into effect," which has
very much an aorist flavor.

But putting all this together, I come up with, for Jas. 5.16,

An appeal of an upright [person] accomplishes a lot [as it
keeps] working inwardly

and for Gal. 5.6,

Because in Christ Jesus neither does circumcision accomplish
anything, nor uncircumcision, but faith (or commitment) [as
it keeps] working inwardly through love.

Regards,
Jim V.