Re: Romans 1:20 apo ktisews kosmou tois poihmasin *nooumena*

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Sun, 02 Mar 1997 18:05:24 -0500

At 10:08 PM 3/2/97 -0200, Isidoros wrote:
>>"(and so, O QEOS)
>>those (matters) that are from the construction (the "active" creation) of
>>the (ordered) world unseen (invisible) about Him, to the "makers" [tois
>>POIMASIN: to those that "make (imagings)", those "ponding across",
>>the "poets" - and, in this respect, to - the "(perception) defining seers"]
>>he makes by "vision" knowable (by revelation he makes perceptible and
>>understood)"
>
>P.S. And let me add the following construction,
>that might help in making the above translation maybe more clear.
>
>[kai] (O QEOS) TA GAR APO KTISEWS KOSMOU AORATA (peri) AUTOU ,
>TOIS POIHMASIN KAQORATAI NOOUMENA
>
>As could also have been,
>
>[kai] (O QEOS) TA GAR AORATA (peri) AUTOU APO KTISEWS KOSMOU,
>TOIS POIHMASIN KAQORATAI NOOUMENA

Hi, Isidore!

I had been thinking that POIHMASIN referred to things created, not to
creators, and was more equivalent to "poems" than to "poets". I just looked
this up in LSJ, which also seems to prefer the "things created" interpretation:

poi-êma, atos, to, (poieô) anything made or done: hence,
I. work

Do you have any examples of POIHMA used to mean "makers" or "poets" rather
than "works" or "poems"?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728