Re: Mark 1:23 (in an unclean spirit)

Tue, 4 Mar 1997 11:46:10 -0600

At 10:31 AM -0600 3/4/97, Wes.Williams@twcable.com wrote:
>>>How about Mark 1:23 where a man was "in an unclean spirit" (not vice
>>>versa as we often expect).
>
>>ANQRWPOS EN PNEUMATI AKAWARTW
>
>>Wouldn't it make better sense to understand this as "with an unclean spirit"?
>
>I agree that there are difficulties understanding this EN as locative. In
>recently researching the "EN + <a person>", I found that Zerwick proposes
>that
>this Mark 1:23 usage is a semitism. However, Zerwick did not show how it
>was a
>semitism.
>
>Does anyone have information showing why or how this may be a semitism?

Would it represent the Hebrew preposition B'? My sense for Semitisms as
such is not as keen as my scent for the un-Greek, but when checking on
usage of EN a few days ago I found it was already used in classical Attic
(albeit not frequently) in an instrumental sense, and I do think that EN
PNEUMATI AKAQARTWi here is, like BAPTIZEIN EN PNEUMATI hAGIWi, an
instrumental usage.

(314) 935-4018