Re: Way Over My Head

Thomas Biddy (web3943@charweb.org)
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:56:59 -0500 (EST)

Dear Jonathan,

Like Tim, I get into things that are over my head - but for me, that is
the way that I learn. Education rubs off onto people if they will just
stick with it.

So I'll ask an elemental question: What does inflection really mean? I
read the following and understand it but would like a good understanding
of what inflection is.

Martin said>>>
The phrase "of the only begotten" appears to come out of two words "tou"
and "monogenous". Is there something about the way these words are
inflected which requires a possessive sense (hence the supplying of the
English article "of") rather than as words in apposition?

In other words, must it be translated "the only begotten's name" or can it
be understood as "the name, (comma) the only begotten"?
<<< end quote

I hope that Tim stays with us. Little by little great houses are built.

Have a GREAT day,
Thomas

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Jonathan Robie wrote:

> Tim Copeland (sticks@enid.com)
> Sun, 09 Mar 1997 23:39:33 -0800
>
> > Oh ye men of wisdom,
> > I joined b-greek hoping to learn more about the Greek translation
> > of the bible; however, it is evident I have bitten off more than I can
> > chew and I am definately not in your league. I have read numerous
> > e-mails to individuals and have yet to find any information on basic
> > study guides for the beginner or whatever it takes to begin a bible
> > study on the Greek translation, along with little on God's word.
>
> How much do you know at this point? Are you comfortable with
> the alphabet? Can you read simple sentences? Have you read
> anything in Greek? The next step depends a lot on how far
> along you are already. I'm self-taught, as are several others
> here. This is a great place to ask advice!
>
> > You folks have definately done alot of research on sentence
> > structure, and maybe that is what this is all about; however, I didn't
> > vision it that way. I also joined b-hebrew and am experiencing same.
>
> Well, it *does* tend to be all about that. If I leave out most of
> a w-, you can probably g- what I mean fairly easily because
> of the c-. The sentence structure carries a lot of the meaning.
>
> > Do any of you know of some basic course on the internet for an
> > individual(s) who are not as well versed as yourselves? A version that
> > is understandable? Also, do any of you know how to unsubscribe from
> > this service.
>
> There isn't anything that is very far along yet, though there are
> at least two sites starting on this, and a third which I know
> about. In a year or so, this should be easier to find.
>
> Jonathan

> Jonathan Robie
> POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703
> Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
> email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com
> http://www.poet.com <--- shockwave enabled!

              (O)

  \| ^^^^^^  \:W/--------------------------------------------''''''
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Listowner:Thomas Wayne Biddy <web3943@charweb.org>
Listnames:BIDDY (or) PCCC (or) TYSON (or) WHELESS
Subscribe: MAISER@rmgate.pop.indiana.edu
SUB <LISTNAME> (in the body text)
USGenWeb NC County Coordinator for Alleghany, Avery & Watauga.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2140/
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2140/alleghan.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2140/Avery.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2140/watauga.htm