Monogenes

lakr (lakr@netcom.com)
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 11:38:43 -0800 (PST)

> At 12:21 PM -0600 3/12/97, lakr wrote:
> >> Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
> >> Mon, 10 Mar 1997 08:33:41 -0600
> >>
> >Or, perhaps given the definition in Thayers of alethinos as
> >
> > ["alethinos ... that which has not only the name and semblance,
> > but the real nature corresponding to the name ... in every
> > respect corresponding to the idea signified by the name, real
> > and genuine .. a. opp (oposed) to what is fictitious, counterfeit,
> > imaginary, ... Jn xvii. 3 ... it contrasts realities with
> > their semblances ... Heb viii. 2; the sanctuary, Heb ix. 24."
> > Thayer's lexicon, page 27.],
> >
> > "the only (one) who is by nature God". ?
>
> You are reading MONON as a second adjective; but (I think) the Johannine
> phrase for the notion you've just expressed is, in fact: hO MONOGENHS QEOS,
> the conjunction that appears (albeit without the article) in John 1:18.
>
> Carl W. Conrad

Carl, thanks.
I thought that I was making the MONON substantive, but if I understand
you correctly, the hO in this translation takes the meaning of 'hON'
and the MONON is an adjective.

Even though I did not really understand what I was doing with this
are you saying that "the only (one) who is by nature God" is at
least a _possible_ translation of John 17:3 ?

Regarding the comparison of hO MONOGENHS QEOS in John 1:18, the use
of monogenes in John 1:14 would appear to have the same reference
as the use in John 1:14 where PARA PATROS is decisive for
"only-begotten".

I did a bit of research from some etymological examples in the article
in New Test. Stud. on monogenes, where it discusses the root -genes
which means "category" or "kind". The article also gives some
examples where this root also may carry the idea of derivation,
as in ghgenes(born of Gaia or earth-born), diogenes (Zeus-descended,
sprung from Zeus) eugenes(well born) and suggenes(born with).
Of course this is academic, as etymology does mean much with
regard to word studies, however even in this case it provides no
objection to the meaning 'only begotten'.

Sincerely,
Larry Kruper