Re: MONOGENES

Walt McFall (ana@net1.nw.com.au)
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 16:27:09 +0000

> From: Wes.Williams@twcable.com
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 97 10:04:13 MST
>
> Well, it is refreshing to find agreement at times and I enjoyed the repartee
> with you. Of course, one could argue that MONOGENHS is not an either/or
> proposition that it means unique or only-begotten. One could argue for both.

G'day Wes,

I've appreciated your thoughts. I certainly agree with you here and
have enjoyed our exchange on this thread.

More often than I'd like to admit I find myself thinking that the
Greek must mean "this one thing" or "can't mean that one thing"
(when there may be more than one possibility that is viable) because
of certain preconceived theological considerations that I bring to
the text. Overcoming this tendency seems to be a struggle at times
(for more than a few on this list I'd bet)... and perhaps it's not
always a bad thing. But what I really enjoy about being on this
list, is that I keep being forced to let the text speak for itself,
and while not always easy to do (sometimes one just _cannot_ be
dogmatic), it has been and continues to be very rewarding.

Thanks again.

Semper Fi,

Walt McFall
ana@net1.nw.com.au
CHESTY PULLER, USMC
(When surrounded by Eight
Divisions of enemy forces...)

"All right men...
they're on our left, they're on our right,
they're in front of us, they're behind us...
THEY CAN'T GET AWAY THIS TIME!!!"