Style - how much can we know?

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:15:19 -0500

Carl Conrad wrote:

>Certainly it would be worth while to learn the Greek language used in the
>New Testament, but don't romanticize its character: it runs the same range
>from crude and rough to altogether sublime expression as any sophisticated
>language can and does, and it takes at least as much time and effort to
>learn as does any other sophisticated language.

Translations, of course, don't really reflect this range of style. The
reason is simple: translations are written either by individuals or by
committees, and in either case, they will tend to write with a fairly
consistent writing style - either the individual translator's style or the
guidelines used by the committee.

There is another reason, too: it is almost impossible to accurately echo
style in a translation. I once had to endure a German translation of the
movie "The Color Purple" in which the translators tried to convey the
southern black dialects by choosing equivalently rural southern German
dialects; it was a disaster. Style is subtle, and doesn't survive
translation. It doesn't survive explanation particularly well, either. After
seeing "The Color Purple", people asked me what I thought, and when I
explained that a lot was lost, they asked me for a few examples. I explained
until I was blue in the face, but unless you have a good ear for southern
black dialects, the explanation doesn't really help - it is a bit like
explaining a joke that nobody understood when you suspect they won't
understand the explanation either.

That said, I *know* that I don't have a feel for style in the Greek New
Testament, and I suspect that it will take me a long time to develop a feel
for style. Some things are obvious: John's style is simpler than anybody
else's, with limited vocabulary which he uses very skilfully; Paul and Peter
use lots more participles than John does; Luke has a wide range of styles.
But I sincerely doubt that I "hear" the distinctions in style the way that
the original recipients do, and I suspect that even the Really Big Greeks
hear them only in part, and often disagree about what they do hear.

How much can we know about style? I suppose that we can compare forms to
those found in other writings whose purpose and audience is clear. How else
can we make objective statements about style?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com