Re: PANTES GAR hHMARTON

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 08:45:13 -0500

Carlton Winbery wrote:
>Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>I was struck by the present hUSTEROUNTAI in this verse, and hope
>>I'm not overinterpreting it:
>>
>>Roma 3:22 (GNT) DIKAIOSUNH DE QEOU DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU EIS PANTAS
>>TOUS PISTEUONTAS. OU GAR ESTIN DIASTOLH, 23 PANTES GAR hHMARTON KAI
>>hUSTEROUNTAI THS DOXHS TOU QEOU 24 DIKAIOUMENOI DWREAN TH AUTOU CARITI DIA THS
>>APOLUTRWSEWS THS EN CRISTW IHSOU:
>
>First I would point out that the sentence begins in Vs 22. "There is no
>distinction, for all . . ." This makes this sentence a summary of the main
>point of Rom. 1:18-3:31, all people Jews and gentiles stand in need of the
>redemption in Christ. The aorist in that sentence is listed by Brooks &
>Winbery as an example of the gnomic (indicates what is universally true)
>aorist. "All people sin . . ." I would translate the present participle
>as circumstantial to the aorist verb. ". . . for all people sin, falling
>short of the glory of God."

Of course, if I don't interpret it as gnomic, it still makes sense: "all
people have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God". Robertson indicates
that some people dispute the existence of the gnomic, or at least its use in
the NT (although Robertson believes that it does exist, and gives quite a
few examples). Is anybody familiar with the arguments for and against the
gnomic aorist?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728