Ignorance, [in]tolerance, etc.

Nichael Lynn Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Sun, 6 Apr 1997 20:57:58 -0500

John Oaklands wrote:
>Carl
>I appreciated your message in response to Brian and his being removed from a
>list out of bigotry on the part of the owner. [...]

It is worth noting that others have been thrown off the same list for
"Heresy" (as Dave Barry says "I'm not making this up").

>For me bigotry and intolerance reveal ignorance. In the words of an Aussie
>writer, some think that ignorance is bliss, but I say that ignorance is
>ignorance!

As an instructive aside, the full quote here is:

"... where ignorance is bliss,
'Tis folly to be wise."
--Thomas Gray
Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College. 1.99

This is one of those curious quotes which --in the form in which they
typically appear-- are so out of context as to take on a meaning which is
often the complete opposite of the originally intended meaning. (Other
examples are "Vengence is mine" or Shakespeare's line about killing all the
lawyers.)

Interesting how much more apt the original may be in this instance...

Nichael
nichael@sover.net "Did I forget, forget to mention Memphis,
http://www.sover.net/~nichael/ Home of Elvis and the ancient Greeks..."