Re: Help! Can't decipher Smyth citation

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 14:34:50 -0400

At 12:21 PM 4/7/97 -0500, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>The references in Smyth #1939 are
>Iliad 2.113 NUN DE KAKHN APATHN BOULEUSATO, KAI ME KELEUEI ...
>
>and
>
>Iliad 3.439 NUN MEN GAR MENELAOS ENIKHSEN SUN AQHNHi.
>
>Smyth does have a nice harvest in this section of aorist verbs, augmented
>and unaugmented, that do not appear to have any clear reference to past
>time.

Thanks for the references! I'm trying to compare them to this example from
Mari's thesis:

John 10:31 RABBI, NUN EZHTOUN SE LIQASAI hOI IOUDAIOI, KAI PALIN hUPAGEIS EKEI;

Mari suggests that NUN in this context can be translated "just now": "Rabbi,
just now the Jews were trying to stone you". She says this indicates that
the past reference of the imperfect can not be cancelled by adding NUN - it
still refers to a past situation.

I had really wanted to see whether the NUN cancels the past reference in the
two Homeric references, but I suspect these examples don't help - in each
case, the aorist feels like an ingressive aorist indicating the start of a
new state, and NUN+ingressive aorist in these two examples has an effect not
unlike the perfect.

Or am I off-base in this interpretation?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com