Re: Attention aspect geeks: John 15:6 EBLHQH, EXHRANQH

Edgar Krentz (ekrentz@lstc.edu)
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 09:08:14 -0600

Don, you wrote:

>>As for the argument that Homer is the last refuge of a scoundrel trying to
>>prove strange theories about the aorist, that, it seems to me is a
>>double-edged blade. The Homeric texts may be centuries earlier than even
>>classical Attic and still earlier than the Koine of the NT, but there was
>>no time in antiquity that Homer was not read and recited aloud and listened
>>to by Greek-speaking peoples. Consequently the echoes of Homer in Greek of
>>all periods are like the echoes of Shakespeare and the King James Bible in
>>the English of all periods since the 16th century. Without pre-judging the
>>matter, I'd be curious about the use of aorists in Greek choral lyric,
>>including the choruses of Greek tragedy and Greek comedy, and also in the
>>whole epigrammatic tradition from Archilochus up to the end of antiquity.
>>And yes, I know that there are significant generic differences between
>>poetry and prose, but nevertheless poetry and prose impact upon each other
>>considerably, and as Edgar Krentz nicely called attention this morning,
>>there's a dactylic hexameter not normally recognized as such in James 1:17.

BTW, I missed Edgar's comments on James 1:17, and did
>not see the hexameter in a cursory reading. What section was he referring
>to (off-list reply would be fine)?

James 1:17: PASA DOSIS AGAQH KAI PAN DWRHMA TELEION is what I referred to.
It scans well, may be a citation. But it could also be pure accident. If a
citation, it is unidentifiable.

>>Whatever we may disagree on, you make
>>me proud to be a Mac-user in these days of Apple's low tide.

Placet!

By the way, I appreciate the kudos you have been giving Smyth. I am a bit
surprised that no one mentions any of the intermediate grammars aof the NT,
and is Moulton-Howard-Turner no longer used by many people. Volume 1 of
that set is still, in my opinion, a classic.

Peace,

Edgar Krentz, New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 EAST 55TH STREET