Re: Aspect Specifics

S. M. Baugh (smbaugh@adnc.com)
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 17:04:58 -0700

Tom Launder wrote:
>Ok, if I understand everything correctly here then the aorist
>subjunctive is "default" when coupled with OU MH. But then I figure
>that I do not understand the significance of OU MH. Wallace states,
>"This is the strongest way to negative something in Greek. . . OU MH +
>the subjuctive denies a *potentiality*. . . OU MH rules out event the
>idea as being a possibility" (Wallace, Greek Grammar Beyond The Basics,
>468).

>So how does this relate to the OU MH KRIQHTE? Is there an idea here of
>the impossibility of one experiencing judgement? Or is this reading
>too much into the OU MH? Does context weaken or strengthen OU MH?

Tom, what we were really talking about is the fact that KRIQHTE was
expressed as an *aorist* rather than a *present* subjunctive (setting
aside the perfect). This is a statement of firm conviction about a
future event. None of that is changed by the "tense form."

>For the stative idea. . .does that mean that the verb KRIQHTE is one
>that does not have a continual idea built into it?

Right sort of. "Stative" means that the verb refers to a state of being
("I exist," a condition "I am tall" "I am pregnant" or a relationship
between the subject and an object or another person "I love" etc.). With
these kind of verbs, the aorist may indicate entrance into the state: "I
become pregnant" "I got sick" "they came to life" "he began to reign."
KRINW refers to a simple action which has an understood time limitation
(a "telic performance" in my lingo); it is not a stative idea, and the
ingressive or inceptive idea you proposed is not really possible with
this verb. That's all.

Xariti,

S. M. Baugh
New Testament