Re: Romans 5:2 hH DE hUPONMONH *DOKIMH*, hH DE *DOKIMH* ELPIDA.

Ronald Wong (dogtoy@isgroup.net)
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 08:07:52 -0400

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> Could someone please help me out on the meaning of DOKIMH in this quote?
>
> Roma 5:4 (GNT) hH DE hUPONMONH *DOKIMH*, hH DE *DOKIMH* ELPIDA.
>
> Thanks!
Jonathan...
Is this some kind of continuative clauses..or direct objects of the verb
*KATERGAZETAI*?
QLIPSIS "produces" hUPOMONHN.
hUPOMONHN "produces" DOKIMHN..
DOKIMHN "prouduces" ELPIDA.

so that we can say...(if continuative...I don't know the proper gram.
construction)
The trial produces endurance, endurance produces character, and
character produces hope.

or...
can we say. . . (?)
The trial produces endurance
(The trial produces) the enduring character
(The trial produces) the hopeful character.

Rienecker has for DOKIMH "approved character, the quality of being
approved as a result of test and trials" p.359.

Please correct...this one is stumping me too!
Ronald Wong
O'Brien, FL.