Re: Aspect Specifics

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 11:47:26 -0400

At 10:42 AM 4/14/97 -0500, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 9:14 AM -0500 4/14/97, S. M. Baugh wrote:
>>Whereas in the aorist forms, GINWSKW *normally* has this
>>meaning (there may be exceptions, but they would be rare). I don't think
>>you exactly contradicted this, but it's worth noting.

I think I agree completely here.

>Strictly as a matter of idiom, it seems to me that I have frequently seen
>in Plato the simple EMAQON in the sense, "Oh, now I get it" or "Now I see."
>I would suppose this is resultative, but if one wanted to count up
>thousands of categories, one might call it "aorist of action completed a
>moment ago."

My favorite example is one that threw me completely the first time I ran
into it:

Luke 16:4 EGNWN TI POIHSW
"Now I know what I will do" or "I got it - this is what I'll do!"

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com