Re: 1 John 2:6 translation question

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 13:18:31 -0400

Mike Knox wrote:

>Greetings,
>I have been working my way through 1 John, and I ran into a roadblock on
>Chapter 2, verse 6:
>
>O LEGWN EN AUTW MENEIN OFEILEI KAQWS EKEINOS PERIEPATHSEN
>KAI AUTOS [OUTWS] PERIPATEIN.
>
>I am having trouble understanding how the infinitive MENEIN should be
>translated here. Several translations, such as the NASB translate it as a
>present indicative ("The one who says he abides in him, ought...."). My
>question, is simply, why?
>Also, according to Zerwick's Grammatical Analysis, the word OFEILEI normally
>means "owe", but with an infinitive means "ought". Is this the reason that
>verb MENW is an infinitive in this verse?

LEGW often takes an infinitive to express what is stated; I think that LEGW
+ infinitive is equivalent to LEGW hOTI. In this case,

hO LEGWN The one who says
EN AUTW MENEIN This is what he says: "I abide in him"
OFELEI...PERIPATEIN ought to...walk

At least, that's how I've been reading it. The infinitive associated with
OFEILEI is not MENEIN, but PERIPATEIN, to walk.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728