Re: Mnemonics for the order of the alphabet

Russ P. Reeves (russ-reeves@uiowa.edu)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 00:19:03 -0500

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, you wrote:

>I don't know about the telephone directory, but A.K.A. Adam sent me some
>five word sequences for part of the greek alphabet, and I've extended them
>to cover the rest. How's this?
>
>All Bigots Get Diarrhea Eventually
>Zorro Ate The Ice Kap(pa)
>Let's Munch Nuts Excessively, Okay?
>Pigs Really Stink Terribly
>Under Five Chairs Psychiatrists Wink
>
>If you use this, remember that the "Pigs Really Stink Terribly" part covers
>only 4 letters, and the others cover 5. Otherwise it is easy to get confused.

Maybe it's just me, but I would agree with the "easy to get confused" part.
I think it would take me much longer to memorize this than it would to
memorize the alphabet by rote. I thought the alphabet was the easiest part
- I just sang it to the usual English Alphabet song ("Twinkle Twiinkle..."),
ending with "Next time won't you just shoot me." In general, I found music
to the the most helpful memorization strategy, even when it sounded corny
(such as singing the Billy Graham crusade hymn "Kathws Eimi" ... "O arnion,
tou theou erxomai, erxomai..." It must have worked somewhat well, since it
got me an "A" in Steven Baugh's Greek class. :)

Russ P. Reeves
mailto:russ-reeves@uiowa.edu