Re: Romans 5:6 ETI...ETI KATA KAIRON

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:45:47 -0400

At 12:20 PM 4/15/97 -0500, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 11:23 AM -0500 4/15/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:

>>Might the second ETI actually go with CRISTOS too, and just be repeated for
>>emphasis?
>
>I really don't see how: it's an adverb and one used most frequently to
>emphasize a temporal adverb or phrase--which is what we have in this
>instance--in fact very much like German "noch." I don't see how it would be
>used to emphasize a noun subject.

Yes, you are clearly right here. But I wonder if it isn't repeated for emphasis.

There is some confirmation for this idea in Bruce Metzger's Textual
Commentary on the Greek New Testament, where he says "whether it originated
as a primitive error, or ...as one may assume, Paul repeated ETI, perhaps
for the sake of emphasis". I started looking at the variants when I figured
that I'm not the only person who might find that construction confusing. The
variants are interesting here:

Roma 5:6 (GNT) ETI GAR CRISTOS ONTWN hHMWN ASQENWN ETI KATA KAIRON hUPER
ASEBWN APEQANEN.

Variant readings:

1. ETI GAR ... (omit)
2. EI GAR ... (omit)
3. EI DE ... (omit)
4. EI GE ... ETI
5. EI GAR ... ETI
6. EIS TI GAR ... ETI
7. EIS TI GAR ... (omit)

These reading suggest to me that the ETI could logically be used on either
end, and perhaps it was repeated for emphasis here.

Does this idea have merit?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728