Re: elliptical ESTIN

Fri, 18 Apr 1997 05:59:57 -0500

At 11:43 PM -0500 4/17/97, Jamdad1@aol.com wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I am working on Heb. 4:12.
>
>ZWN GAR O LOGOS TOU THEOU...
>
>I am curious if an elliptical ESTIN carries more force than a non-elliptical
>one. Also note the similar ellipsis at 4:13b (PANTA DE GUMNA KAI
>TETRAXHLISMENA).

Perhaps this is a naive response, but I cannot, for the life of me, think
of any reason in the world why an elliptical ESTIN should be MORE forceful
than a NON-elliptical one, assuming that in both cases we're talking about
the copulative ESTIN which normally follows its predicate word. However, I
think the reverse might be true, particularly if the ESTIN *precedes* its
predicate word. I don't have a particular NT text in mind, but for example:

ESTIN GAR ZWN hO LOGOS TOU QEOU

My strong hunch, however, is that you're not likely to see that with a
copulative ESTIN, but instead it would be ZHi GAR hO LOGOS TOU QEOU.

When, on the other hand, the ESTIN is existential, it will almost, if not
without exception, ALWAYS be expressed and will very likely come near or at
the beginning of its clause.

(314) 935-4018