Re: Zerwick in Latin

Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 00:11:27 +0100

At 12:20 20/04/97 -0500, you wrote:
>classes were held in Latin. In Rome, this was true in spades,
>at both the Biblicum and the Gregorian.

Wasn't it Anthony Kenny in his " The Path from Rome " ( I write from memory
) who gave a comic example of how this actually worked out in practice,
when he described a _very_ distinguished North American philosopher
concluding his account of some notion or other with the statement:
Haec theoria non tenuit aquam.

As Kenny remarked, this served only to confuse the Italian, German, Spanish
and French students who were left wondering what connection
water could possibly have with the philosophical point they had just heard
surveyed!

Regards,

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie

[using Eudora Pro 3 and Trumpet Winsock 3.0d ]