Re: Zerwick in Latin

gmengel@dominionsc.com
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 12:51:52 -0400

Say's something about our education system in general...hmmm...how I wished
I HAD joined the LATIN club..
-gmengel

plstepp@flash.net on 04/20/97 05:21:05 PM

To: b-greek@virginia.edu, EHOBBS@wellesley.edu
cc: (bcc: Guy M. Mengel/DSC)
Subject: Re: Zerwick in Latin

> The present ignorance of, and hostility to, Latin should not blind us to
> the fact that not too long ago, it was very much the language known by
all
> educated persons. To this day, one of the addresses at graduation
> eremonies at Harvard is in Latin. Here at Wellesley, every semester the
> students perform a play in classical Latin or in classical Greek, in
> alternation. (I was once roped into playing a part in Aristophanes
"Frogs,"
> as was Sir Hugh Lloyd-Jones, Regius Professor of Greek at Oxford.)

In the late 1920's, my grandmother delivered her high-school valedictory
address in Latin. This in a small town in southwest Missouri--a farming
community, no less--with a graduating class of around 50. And I complain
if I have to crack a dictionary!

PLStepp