Re: parsing drill?

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:05:58 -0400

Andrew Kulikovsky wrote:

> Does anyone know of a software program that drills you on your parsing?
>
> I have one that tests vocab but I'd love to have something that hones my
> parsing skills...

John Hurd's "The Greek Tutor" has not yet been released as a commercial
product, but it is available for beta use for about $50.00. I have found it
helpful for parsing skills. His email address is:

"John C. Hurd" <hurd@chass.utoronto.ca>

At my relatively beginning level, one of the most helpful exercises I know
is to take a section of running text and write down the parse codes for
anything I'm not completely sure about, then compare it to the parsings in
the Gramcord database. You can do the same thing with the CCAT parse codes,
but they aren't always correct, so you have to be a little more careful. (I
also have the impression that the accuracy of the parse codes varies
significantly among Bible software programs.)

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com