Re: Latin Translation

Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:13:23 -0500

At 10:21 AM -0500 4/24/97, Mike Luper wrote:
>With the discussion of Latin as of late, I was wondering if someone
>might provide a translation of the phrase "deus nobiscum"? I couldn't
>track down the term nobiscum in the Latin dictionary.

"God with us"--NOBISCUM is a compound of the ablative of the pronoun NOS
with the preposition CUM ('with') attached to it, just as in such
comparable liturgical phrases as DOMINUS VOBISCUM/TECUM ('the Lord be with
you'). More specifically DEUS NOBISCUM is the Latin translation of the
Hebrew compound name IMMANUEL, where EL = DEUS and IMMANU = NOBISCUM.

(314) 935-4018