NUN+Verb.Aorist

Paul Zellmer (pzellmer@ix23.ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 08:38:08 -0400

Yesterday, Jonathan wrote:

> Incidentally, in a fairly recent series of posts, I think that we reached
> some consensus that NUN+Verb.Aorist generally functions much like the
> perfect, pointing to the present state.

Jonathan, I don't believe this is a recent consensus/agreement. Even
those of us who still hold to a general "past time" significance to the
augment realize that there are many occasions where that time "meaning"
is overriden, leaving or focussing on the aspect characteristics of the
form. Whether this qualifies it to act "much like the perfect" depends
a good bit on how you see perfect acting.

The question that was argued before is whether the augment still was an
indicator of past time in Koine Greek. I think we still have proponents
and opponents of the proposition on the list.

Take it easy, friend.

Paul