Re: Mercy Seat/Propitiatory

Michael Williams (ichthus@gmi.net)
Thu, 01 May 97 06:00:21 PDT

Mike:

I know that there have been those who argued against HILASTERION as
"propitiation" (ie. Socinus, Ritschl, Dodd). But the very fact that Paul
introduces the concept HILASTERION after an exposition on man's sin and
God's wrath against man's sin calls for the introduction of Christ as
PROPITIATION. Since the Mercy Seat was the place of propitiation in the
OT, and because HILASTERION is the "mercy seat" in Hebrews 9:5, it has
been considered an option in Romans 3:25.

Yet, I don't know that we can say Christ fulfilled the concept of the
"mercy seat." In my opinion, it is better to say He fulfilled the concept
of "the sacrifce" whose blood was sprinkled on the mercy seat. He was
"openly set forth" (PROEQETO) as HILASTERION "through faith in His blood."
The "mercy seat" did not have blood to offer; the sacrifice did.

His By Grace,
Michael Williams
Ph.D. Student
MABTS, Memphis, TN