RE: Hartman Question about Eph. 4:11

Larry:

Like you, I'm not quite sure where the "some" comes from in various English
translations (unless it might have something to do with the MHN. . .DE
construction) .  The words APOSTOLOUS, PROPHETAS, EUANGELISTAS, POIMENAS,
and DIDASKALOUS are, however,  all accusatives, masculine, plural and not
genitives.  As far as I can tell, they all belong to the category of
accusative of direct object.  So, I see no warrant for translating "from
the apostles, etc."   My first impression is to translate as following:

"And He Himself gave the apostles, and the prophets, and the evangelists,
and the pastors and teachers . . ."

The following verses with the various prepositional phrases, the HINA
clause, and adverbial participles give the goal and purpose (and more) of
these "gifts" to the church (cf. 4:7-8).

Perhaps some of our more capable members on the list can shed more light on
the verse and your question concerning the use of "some."

In Christ,
Michael Williams
Ph.D. student, instructor of Beginning Greek
Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary, Memphis, TN