Re: Isaiah 52:7(LXX)

From: Perry Wiles <pwiles@mail.usyd.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 20:49:16 +1000
Subject: Isaiah 52:7(LXX)

A friend has asked me about the use of hWS in the LXX of Isaiah 52:7.
The usage seems unusual to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

The passage is: hWS hWRA EPI TWN OREWN hWS PODES EUAGGELIZOMENOU
AKOHN EIRHNHS hWS
EUAGGELIZOMENOS AGAQA hOTI AKOUSTHN POIHSW THN SWTHRIAN SOU LEGWN
SIWN
BASILEUSEI SOU hO QEOS

Thanks in advance for any help.

Perry Wiles
Moore Theological College
Sydney, Australia
<<<

Since nobody seems to have commented on this one, I'll jump in. BAGD
has the following information in its entry on hWS: section IV.
("Other uses"), point 6.

     "in exclamations 'how!'"

Biblical citations include Ps. 8:2, 72:1; Rom. 10:15 (cf. Isa 52:7),
11:33.

The usage seems unusual to me as well, but it doesn't "feel TOO bad."
Perhaps someone else with greater expertise in extrabiblical Greek as
well as in Hebrew can comment on whether this is a natural Greek
sense of the word or whether we have a Semitism here. If it's not
natural Greek, I wonder what the ordinary Greek expression would be?
PWS doesn't feel right to me; would the expression have to be recast
along the lines of "O the beauty of the feet...!"?

Hope the BAGD citation helps a little, at least.

In Love to God and Neighbor,
Randy Leedy
Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC