Re: Isaiah 52:7(LXX)

Thansk for the reply

David L. Moore wrote:

> >From: Perry Wiles <pwiles@mail.usyd.edu.au>
>
> >A friend has asked me about the use of hWS in the LXX of Isaiah 52:7.
> >The usage seems unusual to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
> >
> >The passage is: hWS hWRA EPI TWN OREWN hWS PODES EUAGGELIZOMENOU
> >AKOHN EIRHNHS hWS
> >EUAGGELIZOMENOS AGAQA hOTI AKOUSTHN POIHSW THN SWTHRIAN SOU
> >LEGWN
> >SIWN
> >BASILEUSEI SOU hO QEOS
> >

> The sentence as Perry has quoted it lacks its initial word.  The
> versification has left PAREIMI dangling at the end of v. 6; it should be
> included as part of the sentence.
>
> We may translate "I come as Spring upon the mountains, as feet that
> bring goodnew of a message of peace, as someone who brings news of good
> things; for I will make the message of your salvation to be heard, saying to
> Zion, 'Your God reigns.'"
>
>So hWS has its usual meaning here of "as" or "like" and is used as a
> comparative particle.

This does make all three occurrences of hWS quite understandable, but it
does veer considerably from the Hebrew Masoretic Text where the sentence
division does fall at the verse break and it seems to be the feet of the
messenger which are said to be beautiful upon the mountains.
I guess this could be an example of where the LXX varies significantly
from the HMT, but I thought there might be a way of understanding the
hWS that would make the two renderings more compatible.

Thanks again for you reply.

Perry Wiles
Moore Theological College
Sydney, Australia