Re: Global Language Statistics

As a Defense Language Institute graduate (with a 3/3 in German) I can
truthfully say that reaching
that level is a major achievement. We were there for 10 months and were in
school for 6 or 7 hours a
 day with 2 to 3 hours of memorization and homework each evening. By the
end of the school we were not
allowed to speak in class unless using the target language. I also got to
where I could think in the target language
instead of composing sentences in English in my mind then translating to
German. I wonder what it would be like
to learn Greek or Hebrew under those conditions. It must be exciting.

The school was one of the toughest things I have ever done. It has an
attrition rate of about 85 % (or at least it did when I
was there in 1979-80). Our class started as three classes with 51 people
total. Ten months later we had combined them into
one class and we only graduated 13 people. Everyone else flunked out. Their
system of language teaching works but it isn't easy.

In His Service
Marshall Harrison
mkharris@jax-inter.net

----------
> From: Larry & Beth Hartman <toolbelt@ix.netcom.com>
> To: b-hebew@virginia.edu
> Cc: b-greek@virginia.edu
> Subject: Global Language Statistics
> Date: Saturday, May 10, 1997 10:00 PM
>
> > All those interested:
> >
> >         I think it important that those entering into Biblical language
> >
> > studies understand some global language statistics that may aid in
> >
> > helping to understand how difficult the task is of learning Biblical
> > languages.
> >
> >         The Department of Defense with the aid of the National Security
Agency
> > and Defense Language Institute has categorized modern languages on a
> > scale of complexity.  The scale is rated from 1 to 5, level 5 being the
> >
> > most complex, level 1 being the most basic.  Romance languages are
> >
> > mostly level 1 languages.  Greek in its various dialects would likely
> >
> > fall into level 2 category.  Hebrew, Russian, Vietnamese, German? would
> >
> > fall into level 3 category.  Arabic and its dialects, and Korean are
> >
> > level 4.  Chinese Mandarin and English are level 5.  English is
> >
> > considered the toughest language in the world today to learn because of
> >
> > its complexity.  Chinese Mandarin was a level 4 until just a couple
> > years ago, then moved up to level 5 in close proximity to English.
> >
> >         Along with the scale of complexity the Department of Defense
has

> > produced a scale to determine proficiency levels of students in the
> >
> > various languages.  The student is rated in the areas of Reading,
> >
> > Listening, and Speaking.  Each area has a skill level from 0 to 5, 5
> >
> > being the most advanced, 0 being the most basic.  The scale used in
each

> > of the 3 areas is the same.  Levels 0 and 0+ would involve a knowledge
> >
> > of some vocabulary and very limited knowledge of grammar.  Levels 1 and
> >
> > 1+ involve a knowledge of survival skills, ability to travel and obtain
> >
> > directions, food, bathroom, hotel etc.  Levels 2 and 2+ involve
> >
> > abilities to communicate at basic levels in a wide variety of topics
> >
> > limited to mostly conrete areas.  Levels 3 and 3+ involve the ability
> >
> > communicate in more detail with concrete areas and solid proficiency in
> >
> > abstract thought.  This level is normally associated with 8th to 9th
> > grade level speaker in the native language.  Students are rarely tested
> > to levels 4 and 5.  These levels would include thorough understand of
> > technical jargon, medical thought, legal thought, etc. and other more
> > advanced skills.  Basic fluency is normally ocnsidered level 2,
> > intermediate fluency at level 3.  The student must demonstrate without
> > the use of any language grammar and lexical aids that he has mastered
> > both the vocabulary and grammar of that level before being awarded that
> > proficiency.
> >
> >         The Biblical texts contain a great deal of level 3 abstract
thought,
> > especially the Pauline Epistles, Psalms, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes.
At
> > the Defense Language Institute a level 3 proficiency in Hebrew is
> > achieved by a samll minority of students in a period of nine months of
> > study.  A level 3 proficiency in Greek is achieved by a small minority
> > of students after about 6 months of study.  A larger minority of
> >
> > students achieve level 2's, and a majority of students have a level 1
in

> > one or more areas.  For many students, in order for them to achieve
> > level
> >
> > 3 proficiency, they must return back to Defense Language Institute for
> >
> > Intermediate language trianing.  These courses are normally the same
> >
> > length as the basic courses described above.  Most of the instructors
> >
> > involved are native speakers.  The weekly study habits include about
4-5

> > hours of theory study and 4-5 immersion/practice during weekdays, and
> >
> > about 3-4 hrs study on weekends.  The level 3 proficiency student
rarely

> > studies less than 40 hours a week in his/her target language.
> >
> >         For the Bible College/Seminarian student to learn the original
biblical
> > languages to level 3 proficiency, while maintaining studies in other
> > areas would take years.  For Greek 6 months multiplied by 5 weeks, and
> > again by 40 hours, returns 1200 hours of study for the more talented
> >
> > students.  By reducing the time of study to 10 hours a week, lengthens
> >
> > the total period of study to 2 yrs.  For Hebrew 9 months multiplied by
5

> > weeks, and again by 40 hours, returns 1800 hours of study.  Reducing to
> >
> > 10 hours a week lengthens the total period to 3 years.  This doesnt
> >
> > account for periods of time where study is totally neglected and the
> >
> > resulting period of review afterwards.  It would be wise also to add
> >
> > extra time due to the fact athat most Bible Colleges/Seminaries don't
> >
> > teach using native speakers.  After entering into field service the
> >
> > normal military linguist is expected to place about an hour of study
> >
> > daily into language maintenance to achieve or maintain level 2
> >
> > proficiency.  Many do not accomplish this expected maintenance, and as
> >
> > result lose proficiency already gained.
> >
> >         The American Council of Education awards credit based on the
level of
> > proficiency achieved by the student in Speaking, Reading, and Listening
> > based on the results of the Defense Language Proficiency test. A level
2
> > in all 3 areas for a category 4 language earns the student about 36
> > undergraduate hours, 5 lower in each area, and 7 upper.  This is likely
> > under-rated, as the Naval Post Graduate School sends post-grads to the
> > Defense Language Institute for language training in lieu of post-grad
> >
> > thesis work.
> >
> >         The bottom line is this: to achieve level 3 proficiency in
Bibical