Re: What is the meaning of a Case?

On Mon, 12 May 1997 12:19:40 +0000 Clayton Bartholomew writes:

>> A lexical form has no meaning without a context. The lexical form is a
key into
a domain (paradigm) of possible meanings. Until the lexical form appears
in a context, it is an uninstantiated variable, and it receives it's
instantiation from contextual information. Outside of the the context the
lexical form is only a key and is semantically empty.

That's what I should have told the officer when I ran that stop sign.
Sorry...couldnt resist.

Jeff Jibben