(Augmented!) imperfects without past reference

I have found some passages in which the imperfect does *not* refer to the
past. These passages may be significant for our discussion of aspect and the
augment here on B-Greek.

Robertson calls this category the "potential imperfect" (Big Yellow Tome, p.
885). I don't see how to construe these passages in a manner that lets the
imperfect refer to the past. In these passages, the imperfect takes a
meaning of potential desire - "I should like", "I could wish":

Roma 9:3 (GNT) *HUCOMHN* GAR ANAQEMA EINAI AUTOS EGW APO TOU CRISTOU hUPER
TWN ADELFWN MOU TWN SUGGENWN MOU KATA SARKA,
Roma 9:3 (RSV) For *I could wish* that I myself were accursed and cut off
from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen by race.

Acts 25:22 (GNT) AGRIPPAS DE PROS TON FHSTON: *EBOULOMHN* KAI AUTOS TOU
ANQRWPOU AKOUSAI. AURION, FHSIN, AKOUSH AUTOU.
Acts 25:22 (RSV) And Agrippa said to Festus, "*I should like* to hear the
man myself." "Tomorrow," said he, "you shall hear him."

Gala 4:20 (GNT) *HQELON* DE PAREINAI PROS hUMAS ARTI KAI ALLAXAI THN FWNHN
MOU, hOTI APOROUMAI EN hUMIN.
Gala 4:20 (RSV) *I could wish* to be present with you now and to change my
tone, for I am perplexed about you.

Does anybody care to comment on these?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie   jwrobie@mindspring.com  http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie