Re: Aktionsart vs. Aspect

Dear Don,

It was interesting to hear about your work with NASB and your
struggels with "began". In several postings the last months I have
made an appeal for a slight redefinition of "imperfective" and "
perfective" applied to the Greek verbal system. But evideently I have
not been able to catch the interest. This was also the reason why I
brought up Matt 4:11. Michael made a very good distinction between
Aktionsart and aspect, and different kinds of imperfects and aorists
etc. have been discussed in a fine way. What I am after, and which I
think it is important for all to struggle with, are the very concepts
of " imperfectivity"  and "perfectivity".

Fanning did an excellent job with his book. He was up to date with the
linguistic literature and used a modern definition of aspect.
Particularly his description of aspect as "subjective"  is worth
noting (p 85, it appears that many has not done that). However, it
seems to me that his definition of imperfectivity as a view "from
within the action, without reference to the beginning or endpoint of
the action" and perfectivity as a viewpoint from "outside the action
with focus on the whole action from beginning to end" (p 85) is in
need of a SLIGHT revision.

On pp 191,192,253 Fanning discusses "inceptive imperfects" such as
Matt 4:11: "and angels came (aorist) and began to minister (imperfect)
to him". Regarding such examples he wrote (191,192): "This involves
the close collocation of two verbs denoting sequenced situations such
that the first indicates the beginning-point of the second." This
explanation is clear and logical, so when "angels began ministering to
him", when he "began to pray" Mrk 1:35, and when "he began to teach"
(Luk 5:3), the starting-point of the action IS INCLUDED in the
imperfective verb. My question then is: How can the definition quoted
above stand when we have events where the point of beginning is
included? We may also add conative events, where the action is just
attempted and hardly can be viewed "from within the action". These
questions are not just of theoretical interest, but they may have a
bearing both on translation and on whether Greek perfect is a third
aspect or not. So I hope to get comments from several geeks.