Re: The new b-greek on-line GNT

At 9:45 AM -0700 5/17/97, Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church wrote:

>You're not overly burdened with helpful documentation,

I know that it needs some instructions.  For now, here are some
hints:

1. All texts uses TLG beta code transliteration.  For a description,
cf. http://www.tlg.uci.edu/~tlg/BetaCode.html
2. All characters are in lower case.
3. Friberg text has no accents or smooth breathing.  Rough
breathing is TLG beta code, '('.
4. All other texts have accents and both smooth and rough
breathing, represented by their TLG tokens.
5. Certain non-alphanumeric characters need to be "escaped"
by prefixing a '\' character to ensure that they are interpreted
properly by the search engine.
6. These need to be escaped: '(', ')', '\', '|'.
7. These do not: '/', '='.
8. Friberg tags and CCAT tags are going to require some further
explanation.

>Jim, you said, "if you want to seach for kata as an individual word, and
>not as part of a composite word, try '\bkata\b' (don't include single
>quotes!)."  I tried that and got all occurrences of kata and occurrences
>of kata as a prefix.  What gives?

Hmmm, I just tried it and it worked fine for me!  I selected "Friberg
text" and entered '\bkata\b', selected "Matthew" and got a list of
instances of the prep. 'kata'.  I then tried '\bkata' and got all the
words beginning with 'kata' including "katakausei" in Mt. 3:12.

>Also, how would I find all occurrences of, let's say, agapaw in John in
>the second person plural imperative?  Possible?

You have two choices:

1. You can enter 'a\)gapa/w' in the top textfield, and select
"Lemma text", "John", and "Do Search."  This will return all
inflected forms of AGAPAW.  I just put in a new feature to
display the Friberg tag if only a single search word is entered.
If you can decipher the Friberg tag, you are all set.  It appears
that the Fribger tag for all the instances of AGAPATE (which might
be indicative, subjunctive or imperative) is 'vspa--2p'.

2. You could select "Friberg text" and enter 'agapate' into the
textfield.  This returns a shoerter list of five occurrences.
Again, if the Friberg tags are correct, there are no imperatives,
only subjunctives.

Hmmm, would it be useful to be able to specify both the lexical
text and the parsing for the same word?  As it stands, that is
not an option.

>Thanks again, Jim, for making this available.

It was fun.  I'd like to thank Jonathan for doing whatever he did
to get things rolling.  He got permission for us to go ahead and
put the tool on sunsite.  If I had to put it on my ISP's server,
it would have cost a fortune, since they charge $1/meg/month, and
the NT alone is over 8 meg.  I'd like to get the LXX too, and that
is much bigger.

In Christ,
Jim Beale