perfect tense vs. periphrastic perfect

Howdy!

I'm a kind of a newbie on New Testament Greek and I would like to know
how to best differentiate between the perfect tense and the periphrastic
perfect. How much and in what way they differ? I know the perfect
tense as being a complited action done in the past with result in the
present time, but what about that periphrastic one?

This in mind, how do you translate ESTE SESWSMENOI in Ephesians 2:8
? Is it some kind of a statement about persistence of the salvation
through present time?

Any help appreciated, fellow christians :)

Timo Flink
timo.flink@mikkeliamk.fi