Re: (Augmented!) imperfects without past reference

> Date:          Wed, 21 May 1997 12:55:58 -0400
> To:            Jonathan Robie <jwrobie@mindspring.com>
> From:          "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
> Subject:       Re: (Augmented!) imperfects without past reference
>
> See my corrected post. It's Smyth #1780, cf, also #1827, 1832; BDF #359,
> which does discuss the older classical Attic usages. There's no way you
> could know this without some sense of the history of the language or
> looking carefully at the grammars. Wallace has a not-very-adequate
> discussion under the heading, "Conative (Voluntative, Tendential)
> Imperfect," pp. 550-552.

G'day Carl,

Does Smyth provide adequate answers?  What would you have
included that Wallace didn't?

Just curious...

Regards,

Walt McFall
ana@net1.nw.com.au

         !
        \*/  Hi.  My name is Walt
        /-\  and I'm a Bookaholic... !!!
        @-@ /

"When I get a little money, I buy books.

If any is left over, I buy food and clothes."

.......Desiderius Erasmus

Follow-Ups: References: