No Subject

Somewhere I got it in my head that what I recognize in your description (at
least in part) was true in classical, but that the function of the
middle/passive forms was in process of change by koine times. Spec., that
the reflexive and/or self-interest nuance of the classical middle was
nearly gone in the hellenistic/koine Greek of the NT. The result is that
middle forms are very little different in meaning from active forms; the
passive, as you indicate, being marked in the context (hUPO, etc.)

I cast about briefly to see where I might have picked up this concept, but
only note somewhat related ideas in Moule (24, who also refers to Brugmann
and Moulton) and Mounce (224-5).

I've not followed the previous threads on this topic (too busy with the
dissertation), so perhaps you've already touched on this?

Rod

 Rodney J. Decker                                 Asst. Prof./NT
 rdecker@bbc.edu                          Baptist Bible Seminary
 http://www.bbc.edu/DeckrPHP.htm               Clarks Summit, PA