Re: What is a Greek Sentence?

Carl, et. al.,

Now this is an interesting discussion which may shed some light on what is often a mystery to those of us that try to rewrite our NT passages into a good English form, while retaining the original language!  I think that you are close to having to think in the original here, rather than produce a mental translation as you go along, which is what we novices tend to do.

May I ask a question with respect to the comment you made about the basic unit of Greek being the paragraph, rather than the sentence? Although I can't give a coherent reason why, this seems to make more sense to me than anything else I have heard with regard to thought structure.  When Koine does assume a written form, since it is designed primarily for audible communication as Carl observed, what are the indications of separation between paragraphs in ancient forms of the written text?  What I am asking is, before modern punctuation and use of upper-case letters to designate paragraph beginnings, was there any indication in the text of the start or end of a paragraph?  I had gained the notion that these MSS were usually narrow columns written on leaves of either a codex or roll with no breaks in the words or sentences, and I wondered if there were breaks between the paragraphs, or larger units.

I ask because I have little or no knowledge of the physical form of the early extant MSS, what they look like etc., and I wondered if writers had a way of indicating that they were transitioning into another thought unit.

Paul F. Evans
Pastor
Thunder Swamp Pentecostal Holiness Church
MT. Olive

E-mail: evans@esn.net
Web-page: http://ww2.esn.net/~evans