Re: OU+PAS (1 John 2:19) (Romans 9:6 reconsidered)

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Jim Beale wrote:

> Well, I'd say it's pretty obvious from the context that a universal
> negation is intended here.  Would you say that "some of those who went
> out were not of them" is a possible meaning of the text in context?

Yes, I agreed with you here in my earlier post where I proved
conclusively, using logical analysis, that the universal negation is
called for.

> Plus, I'm not sure how to go about the business of generating a
> conclusive proof except by doing the dog work of a complete induction.
> And a complete induction can only be completed by analysing each case
> individually.  Without assuming that OU+verb+PAS is equivalent to a

It is easier to disprove it, if we can find example(s) to the contrary.
If we cannot find any, then ...

Paul Dixon