Re: Lord's Prayer and meaning of PEIRASMOS

Lemuel G. Abarte (bbot@ksc.th.com)
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 06:50:52 +0700

Regarding a "final/eschatological" test makes sense.

The prayer begins first and foremost with "Thy kingdom come" - a
significant emphasis on the rule of heaven on earth. This is the keynote
message of John and Jesus. When examined in the light of a final Jewish
holocaust before the Kingdom comes, the word PEIRASMOS could be understood
as mentioned by Jeffrey. It also significant when viewed from the
perspective of the Jewish remnant before the Second Coming of Christ.

KAI MH EISENEGKHS HMAS EIS PEIRASMON is a prayer for deliverance from that
holocaust. The version in Luke is abridged. Matthew is the full version.
Why the prayer was a shorter form compared with that of Matthew does not
really produce a controversy with regards to the accuracy of the original
message. Both have their points to make.

The word AMHN makes this a distinctly Jewish prayer. Eschatological
connotations should be held to better understand the passage.