Fwd: ARNEOMAI and 2 Tim 2:12

CEP7@aol.com
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 23:52:51 -0400 (EDT)

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From: CEP7@aol.com
To: b-greek@virginia.edu
Date: 97-06-26 03:57:10 EDT

I was wondering about the meaning of ARNEOMAI in 2 Tim 2:12. It seems that
when ARNEOMAI is followed by an accusative of a person, it means "to deny an
an association with that person." This seems to be the force of ARNEOMAI and
APARNEOMAI in the Gospels, especially with respect to Peter's denials.
ARNEOMAI followed by the reflexive pronoun in the accusative, however, seems
to mean "to deny oneself some privilege or benefit. ARNEOMAI followed by an
abstract noun in the accusative seems to mean "to deny oneself the experience
of the abstract noun." I think the point I want to make with this is that
ARNEOMAI in 2 Tim 2:12 means that if one denies an association with Christ
(implied), He will deny an association with us, as opposed to the meaning "if
we deny Christ service, He will deny us rewards." This latter understanding
seems like it would require a double accusative of person/thing with
ARNEOMAI, a construction I have not found in the NT. Does ARNEOMAI and its
cognates take such a construction in secular Greek.

Charles Powell
DTS