Re: the Lord's Prayer

Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Wed, 2 Jul 97 01:18:41

On Mon 30 Jun 97 (09:15:40 +0100), Peter Phillips wrote:
> [snipped]
>
> Ingenious I think although I am struck by the hypothetical nature of it
> all. I find it increasingly difficult to use the traditional form of
> the Lord's Prayer - a difficulty here in England where it is still
> commonplace, because I feel that it is surely wrong to translate it as
> the traditional form does both for translational and theological
> reasons.

When I use the Lord's Prayer I certainly "intend" by "lead us not into
temptation" something like "Please don't let us get misled by temptations to commit sins".
I link this with 1 Corinthians 10:13

PEIRASMOS hUMAS OUK EILHQEN EI MH ANQRWPINOS· PISTOS DE hO QEOS, hOS OUK EASEI hUMAS PEIRASQHNAI hUPER hO DUNASQH ALLA POIHSEI SUN TWi PEIRASMWi
KAI THN EKBASIN TOU DUNASQAI hUPENEGKEIN.

Th ultimate test is, "how does it feel when you pray it?"

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA Bristol, 1963 (hons in Theology)
 <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>