RE: OUK ESTIN SOU ANHR again

Mark O'Brien (markus@upnaway.com)
Wed, 02 Jul 1997 19:34:21

At 12:51 PM 7/2/97 +0000, you wrote:
<snip>
>What I am drawing attention to here is the notion of semantic
>marking. I am suggesting that the form of the statement: OUK ESTIN
>SOU ANHR is the semantically unmarked way of indicating
>possession. It does not draw particular attention to possession.
>For this reason it probably does not provide enough information
>to determine the nature of ownership which was the force of the
>original question.

I'm curious to know whether you would see more or less emphasis if the word
order was OUK ESTIN ANHR SOU ? (I.e. with the possessive pronoun at the end)

Regards,

M.

-----
Rev. Mark B. O'Brien Grad. Student, Dallas Theological Seminary
3909 Swiss Ave #1092 Adj. Prof., Dallas Christian College
Dallas, TX 75204

markus@upnaway.com
obrienmb@iName.com
obrienmb@hotmail.com